It was worked by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan somewhere in the range of 1650 and 1656, and initiated by its first Imam, Syed Abdul Ghafoor Shah Bukhari. Arranged in the Mughal capital of Shahjahanabad (today Old Delhi), it filled in as the supreme mosque of the Mughal rulers until the downfall of the domain in 1857. The Jama Masjid was viewed as a representative hub of Islamic force across India, well into the provincial time. It was likewise a site of political importance during a few critical times of British standard. It stays in dynamic use, and is one of Delhi’s most notorious destinations, firmly related to the ethos of Old Delhi.
Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan assembled the Jama Masjid somewhere in the range of 1650 and 1656, at the most noteworthy place of Shahjahanabad. The mosque was planned by engineer Ustad Khalil, and developed by around 5000 specialists. The labor force was different, comprising of Indians, Arabs, Persians, Turks, and Europeans. The development was regulated principally by Sadullah Khan, the wazir (or head administrator) during Shah Jahan’s rule, and Fazil Khan, the specialist of Shah Jahan’s family. The expense of the development at the time was ten lakh (1,000,000) rupees. The mosque was initiated on 23 July, 1656 by Syed Abdul Ghafoor Shah Bukhari, from Bukhara, Uzbekistan. He had been welcomed by Shah Jahan to be the Shahi Imam (Royal Imam) of the mosque.
The mosque was one of the last landmarks worked under Shah Jahan. After its finishing, it filled in as the illustrious mosque of the sovereigns until the finish of the Mughal time frame. The khutba was discussed by the Mughal sovereign during the Friday early afternoon petition, legitimizing his standard. The mosque was consequently an image of Mughal sway in India, conveying political importance. It was additionally a significant focal point of public activity for the occupants of Shahjahanabad, giving a space rising above class partition for assorted individuals to cooperate.